After a more than 25-year-long career as a writer, Tracey Porpora is the Business & Real Estate Reporter, Business Columnist and Sunday Editor/Manager at the Staten Island Advance.
She is the lead reporter covering North Shore development of the New York Wheel, and other major projects unfolding on Staten Island.
Most recently, she has been on the forefront of covering the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis and its impact on New Yorkers — small business owners in particular. During this time her new business column, “New Businesses in Focus,” switched gears to focus on how individual business owners reinvented their services and offerings during the pandemic. The temporary column was dubbed “Staten Island Business Strong.”
In addition, her series “Life Upended,” has profiled more than 20 people who were thrust into situations that were unimaginable just a few months before the pandemic began — those who have seen their life completely upended.
Tracey also specializes in business news and real estate issues affecting Staten Island. She writes a new business column entitled “New Businesses in Focus.”
On the weekends, Tracey manages a busy news desk. In this role she is in charge of driving traffic to silive.com, coordinating and writing breaking news, posting stories on social media and editing all content posted to the website.
Tracey launched her journalism career in 1992 at the Advance, where she worked for more than six years as a news reporter, weekly columnist, and later as the head of the newspaper’s former South Shore Bureau.
In 1999 she left the Advance and led a 13-year long successful freelance writing career, which included writing regularly for The Star Ledger. She was also a contributing editor for Complete Woman, Bridal Guide, T.H.I.C. The Hair Industry Connection and local editor of Industry Magazine. In addition, Tracey was a regular guest author for the working mother site of About.com, and also worked as an editor for the website’s heath channel.
Other publications for which Tracey has written articles include: Ladies’ Home Journal Online, All Woman, Time Out NY Kids, The Christian Science Monitor, Grit, Savvy Miss, Yoga For Everybody, Big Apple Parent, Queens Parent, MetroKids, Chiropractor Monthly, Long Island Woman, MAMM, Mainline, Urban Metro, NurseTV.com, Mature Living, Options, Club Fitness, Lifestyles, Empire New York Business, Family Tree, POZ, The Italian-Tribune, VARBusiness, New Jersey TechNews, Airbrush Action, Trump Style, Elan, Black Diaspora, Moxie, The Wall Street Journal’s Managing Your Career, Media Week and The New York Resident newspaper.
• Awarded “Journalist of the Year” in 2013 by The Newswomen’s Club of NY for coverage of Hurricane Sandy.
• Honored by the New York News Publishers Association in 2019 for coverage of the failed New York Wheel project.
• Led a 12-year long successful freelance career writing and editing human interest, real estate, business, and “how to” stories for national consumer parenting and women’s magazines, business trade magazines and major metropolitan newspapers.
• Authored The Complete Guide to Baby Sign Language: 101 Tips and Tricks Every Parent Needs to Know (Atlantic Publishing, Dec. 2010)
• Earned title of Public Relations Director & Senior Copywriter for a top New York City advertising agency.
• Ran a busy newspaper bureau, and created a weekly column for a major New York City daily newspaper.
• Serves as an Assistant Professor of Journalism at St. John’s University helping dozens of students obtain internships and full-time positions at high profile media companies.